V, VG (without honey), GF
1½ cups dry beluga or puy lentils
2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
Pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
1 large brown onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, grated
1cm fresh turmeric, grated
2cm fresh ginger, grated
5 cardamom pods, crushed
2 medium sized sweet potatoes, cut into 2cm pieces
1 medium sized fennel, thinly sliced (save the tops)
100g sauerkraut (fermented cabbage)
2 tbsp of raw local honey (omit for VG)
½ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
salt & pepper, to taste
1. Wash and cook the lentils in water until just soft. Drain and set aside.
2. Pour oil into cast iron or heavy-bottom pot.
3. Add cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper and stir for 1 min or until fragrant. Add onion, garlic, turmeric, ginger and cardamom pods and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes (add a bit of water if too dry).
4. Add sweet potato, fennel and water, cover and let simmer for 15 mins or until soft.
5. Stir in half the sauerkraut and the honey.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Garnish with remaining sauerkraut, fennel tops and parsley. Serve immediately.