Olive Oil & Cardamom Custard
½ cup coconut sugar
½ tsp vanilla bean paste
10 cardamom pods (seeded)
½ cup lemon juice (zest lemon first to keep for serving)
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup organic gluten free flour (or flour of choice)
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp baking powder (aluminium free)
1½ cup milk (or milk of choice)
coconut oil for frying
seasonal fruit, washed and ready to serve in bite-sized pieces
olive oil or maple syrup to drizzle
1. To make custard, blend eggs, sugar, vanilla, cardamom and lemon juice on high in a high-speed blender for 4 mins. Have your olive oil in a small pouring jug and slowly stream it into the blender (whilst the blender is still on) this takes about 2 mins. Empty custard into storage container and let set it the fridge for a few hours.
2. To make pancakes, sieve the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Then lightly whisk egg and milk separately in another small bowl. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients bowl and stir to combine.
3. Heat your fry pan onto a medium-high heat, then pop in a small amount of coconut oil. Once your pan is hot, pour in the batter and coat the pan evenly, swirling the pan as you add the batter then placing it back onto the heat. Wait for the edges to pull away and start to colour before flipping carefully. Cook the other side until golden, this takes approximately 1 min.
4. Continue these steps until you have finished cooking all the batter. Once the pancakes are cool, pile them into a stack and cut them into 1cm thick strips ready for recooking.
5. Heat the pan, adding a small amount of coconut oil. Once the pan is hot, add the pancake strips and fry for approximately 2 mins, tossing them around so they become crispy and coloured.
6. To serve, simply place into bowls, top with seasonal fruit and the Olive Oil & Cardamom Custard and lemon zest. Drizzle with good quality olive oil or maple syrup.